- Make sure you shop around at renewal. It sounds obvious but most people still don’t.
- Make sure you don’t have more cover than you need. Every insurance product will have different options. Get the ones that suit your needs and pocket.
- Check that all your details are correct. For example you don’t want to be paying for cover for your car at its value this time last year. Also, if you got that gold watch your mother gave you valued, you might find it is worth more than you have it insured for.
- Ask about discounts. Based on your own circumstances, claims history etc you may be entitled to a discount. Most quote systems will ask you these questions in advance and automatically apply the discounts; but it is always worth checking.
- Check if you can vary the claims excess. Some insurance companies give you flexibility here. If you are happy that in the event of a claim you pay a greater amount yourself, then you could save a chunk on your annual premium.
The complete series listing of Top Tips for Irish Consumers is now available here.