I could go on about my conspiracy theory regarding this whole pork recall issue (you’re not worried about the bank bailouts or the recession now, are you?), but lets for the moment stick to the facts.
- From a regulatory perspective, I think this editorial piece from the Irish Independent was pretty much on the money. We have 4 watchdog bodies involved in this – yet it still took a week for the matter to come to a head, and we couldn’t even do the testing necessary in Ireland.
- From a value for money perspective issue, why did the “from farm to fork” food tracing process not allow the supermarkets and suppliers isolate the 10% at risk product and allow the other 90% to remain on the shelves. Does this mean that the expense of implenting this tracing regime is all for nought now?
- From a consumer perspective, you are entitled to refunds if you can prove purchase. As the pork purchased isn’t “fit for purpose”, you’re entitled to “repair, replace or refund”. Any of the three resolutions are perfectly legitimate on the part of the shop where you bought your pork. Generally, proof of purchase (a receipt) isn’t always necessary, but this is probably considered a special scenario. If you have own-branded items its easy for them to identify that you bought the product in a certain store. If it’s a branded item, to be fair to the stores, you should have proof or purchase. If you have your receipts, you should have no problems.
- So, though we’re told it’s safe to throw your pork products in the normal rubbish – you shouldn’t. Try first and get your money back. If that’s unsuccessful, then throw it out.
- Here are two useful Frequently Asked Questions pieces in The Irish Times and The Irish Independent that will help you further.
- Finally, for the ultimate source of information on what’s going on, go to the Food Safety Authority website. If you’re calling from a mobile, don’t call their 1890 33 66 77 number. Save yourself a few quid (since you’re likely to be on hold for a while) and call their 01 817 1300 number instead.