Every year, the Australian consumer organisation, Consumer Choice, awards what they call their Shonky Awards. A Shonky is awarded to companies who provide Australian consumers with substandard products and services throughout the year.
You can see a report on the 2009 Shonkys Awards in this newspaper article, If it’s shonky, then it’s a worthy lemon. The article is worth checking out, if only for the video at the start. The full Consumer Choice report on the awards and the winners is available here.
The awards handed out were as follows:
- Plugging Stuff and Nonsense goes to Reegen Micro-Plug
- Cheese-Fearing Surrender Monkey goes to Tiffany FP807 Food processor
- Water at What Price? goes to Chef’s Cupboard and Massel liquid stocks
- Honey (Oat crisp), I shrunk the groceries goes to Uncle Toby Oat Crisp Honey cereal
- Blinding us with dodgy science goes to L’Oréal Elvive
- Profit Protection Insurance goes to the Credit protection insurance industry
- Sky high surcharges goes to Qantas and Tiger Airways
- Teleconfusication goes to Tel.pacific phone cards
I think this is a fantastic scheme. It’d be great if we could have something similar here in Ireland. You wouldn’t have to think hard over many of those categories to come up with some Irish nominees.
We could call them the Mankys. Anyone like to have a go with their nominations? Or maybe we should have our own particularly Irish nominations?
Post a comment below.