To follow on from the post below about customer service, there’s an interesting thread on the www.askaboutmoney.com forum from December also – Bloody shop assistants – rant.
Half way through there’s a fantastic post from someone called Fintan. I’ve reproduced the comments here – worth noting for both consumers and business owners.
- People do not have to buy from your shop, if they have a choice of similar products from another with better service, they will go there. If they don’t it means a competitor could establish themselves and take sales from you.
- By focusing on training, you improve staff morale, which will lead to lower staff turnover.
- People whose attitude can’t be changed, should not be hired.
Now here is the good bit:
- Better customer service increases sales and customer loyalty.
- Better staff training lowers staff turnover, which increases profitability.
- Better customer service can allow prices to be increased.